Sunday, May 22, 2011

5.20.11 flit - a drabble of 100 words

The sun beat down in warm streams on the field. The cricket and summer bugs were chirping their songs to the skies. The grass was tall and green. The air smelled like simple happiness.

A mother sat on the picnic blanket, soaking in the sunshine, drinking leftover lemonade, watching her children play in the field around her. Suddenly, her five-year-old daughter came running toward her. “Mommy! Mommy! Look what I got! I catchded it!”

She opened her cupped hands. An orange butterfly rested there. But the little girl’s hands were covered with butterfly dust and the butterfly had stopped moving.

2 comments:

  1. ooooohhhh, i really like this. a lot. I love how it captures the innocence of the little girl in the presence of death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh my!! this is really good... I agree with Sara, it really does...!!

    ReplyDelete