Monday, May 27, 2013

Memento

I heard the birds chirping. 
I heard the heavy popping of the machine guns. 
I heard the screams of my comrades.
I heard the cries of the enemy. 


I remember the blue skies. 
I remember the sight of empty cases flying. 
I remember the fear in their faces.
I remember the anger in their eyes. 

I felt the warm breeze on my skin.
I felt the weight of the souls I took with me.
I felt the bodies hit mine as they fell under the strafing. 
I felt their bullets tear through me. 

Please don't forget.

Remember those that fell. 

3 comments:

  1. This is powerful. And so appropriate for Memorial Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with what Nicole said.
    Such fluidity & it packs a hard punch! Definitely something to think about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. agreed, this is very powerful. and the imagery is so clear even with so few words.

    ReplyDelete