Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Breathless Waiting (for) 5.23.2011

Tick tock 
Over and over the tall grandfather clock repeated itself as she stood in the foyer at the base of the grand staircase. She clutched the handkerchief in her small gloved hands tightly. 
She could hear the celebration echoing from the square. 
In her house there was silence as she waited anxiously. 
She jumped as the front door was opened abruptly and her servant stood there breathless. 
“Well?” she demanded, her face white, dreading the words she wished he wouldn’t speak.
The servants face brightened as a broad grin split his face. 
“You’re fiance’s alive and well!” he exclaimed. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the fluctuating mood of this; one moment it is really dramatic, and the next it seems almost humorous.

    I am not sure this was your intent, but to me it sounds like her fiance was outside in the celebration doing something overly daring and stupid (like some people do at parties) and she was waiting where she couldn't see to hear the news if he came out of it alright. Haha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha!! Yea.. that wasn't my intent.. buuuut I wrote this a few minutes before I go to bed.. :) I think I will edit it a bit.. :)

    ReplyDelete