Saturday, May 24, 2014

Empty Spaces

White space.  Just snow and ice for miles and miles, no matter which direction you look.  I rub my numb hands together, wonder what it is I'm doing out here, freezing my butt off in the middle of the arctic.  No phones.  No TV.  Just me and a dozen lonely middle-aged men, wasting what's left of our lives at this research station, hoping to find... something... I don't even know what anymore.

There's a rap at my door, Windows leans in.

"MacReady flew in some coffee."

"Columbian?"

"Yeah, you wish."

It's the only thing left that reminds us we're human.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh. I like the connection. Coffee makes us human, shows us our humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a reference to The Thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the reference wasn't totally lost ;-)

      Delete