Sunday, May 11, 2014

Uneven

[A drabble and a half - I cheated!]

You carried me for nine months, suffered through nausea and exhaustion.  Your body stretched beyond repair.  And I gave you cards and flowers.

You endured pain to give me life.  You fed me when I was helpless.  You forgot what sleep was like. 
And I gave you cards and flowers.

You gave up your career to raise me.  You stayed up all night to check over my homework, my college applications, my resumes.  And I gave you cards and flowers. 

When I cried, you held me.  And when I was an adult, you cried with me.  And I gave you cards and flowers. 

I’m all grown up now.  Your job is done.  You passed with flying colors.  But that hasn’t ever stopped you.  And the truth is that I still need you.  But all I can think to give you is cards and flowers.

Maybe chocolate will make us even?

2 comments:

  1. Normally, I would cry "FOUL!" at a drabble and a half. But this is really precious. And the last line is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally i'd cry FOUL at myself too, but 100 words wasn't cutting it and with a double drabble it lost it's concise punch (I tried), so I just settled for the 150-word challenge =)

      Delete