Saturday, May 24, 2014

Empty Spaces

The burner where the tea-kettle used to sit
It's empty now just like your heart
(You never loved me from the start)

The rectangle on the wall where our picture hung
It's blank now just like your mind
(I can't believe you thought I wouldn't find)

The hiking boots that you always hated
(They left dirt on your pristine floor)
You won't be sad they walked out the door

The air that moved when I spoke hello
Didn't you always want it still?
(Empty words, but silence filled)

When you come home tonight here's what you'll see:
Empty spaces instead of me

3 comments:

  1. This is a good one. The parentheticals really add to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you sure it's not just a gratuitous, unoriginal breakup poem? ;) gotta get writing again somehow.

      Delete
  2. I really like this, especially the literal empty space where that last parenthetical should be (i love parentheses)!

    ReplyDelete